Classic Comfort: Baked Mac & Cheese
Is there anything better than mac and cheese. Yes...baked mac and cheese! Something about it that brings comfort and satisfaction no matter how many times you've had it. This version is an attempt to add a little greenery to this classic comfort food. The spinach mixes nicely with the sauce for a subtle addition. The chicken makes this meal more filling, although you will eat too much of it. Just accept defeat now. This dish will have us crawling back for more; you have been warned. :)
pasta - I like bowties, but macaroni works well too!
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups of baby spinach
optional: chicken, cooked
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add 1/2 package of pasta and cook until al dente.
2. Dice 1/2 onion and sauté in butter for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
3. Add 1 tbsp flour and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add 2 cups of milk, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until it thickens a bit.
5. Remove from heat, add the cheese and spinach. Mix until cheese has melted and spinach has wilted. If adding chicken, make sure it is already cooked and add here.
6. Pour over the pasta and mix.
7. Butter an oven proof pan and pour pasta mixture into it. Bake for 20 minutes at 380° F.