We all have some food items that we just can't imagine living without! Until I sat down to write this blog, I didn't realize quite how many things I always seem to have in my pantry. These change occasionally throughout the year or even month, but for the most part I rely on these staples to get me through a last minute dinner, an unexpected hunger attack, or a late night snack (popcorn anyone?!).
1. Bread - Toast for breakfast, or a fast lunch, bread saves the day more times than I can count. I am a semi-bread snob so I try to pick out local options that have a health kick to them. The one currently in my pantry is an omega-3 sandwich bread from a local baker. Only $5 too!
2. Dried Fruit – Call me strange, but I love dried prunes. They are not just for when you have digestive problems either (although they can help with that)! Dried apples, raisins, and dates are also popular options to try. An easy treat for when you want something sweet, yet healthy.
3. Crackers – Crackers with peanut butter, crackers with hummus, crackers with cheese. A quick snack that always hits the spot!
4. Peanut Butter – Oh, peanut butter, you are so loved. There is nothing more satisfying than peanut butter and apple slices. Well, maybe peanut butter and bananas. The point is that this amazing creation can spruce up even the most boring, old apple while also giving you a boost of lasting energy!
5. Tuna – There is always a can of tuna in my pantry; I’m not even sure how they sometimes end up in there. Nonetheless, if you need a little something for your salad or pasta, no worries, tuna can help you out!
6. Rice – I live off rice and beans. And corn. And avocados. Anyway…rice is the base of so many to my meals I don’t know what I would do without it.
7. Dried Beans - Like I previously mentioned, I live on rice and beans. Dried beans can be a pain sometimes because I never remember to soak them the night before. However, they are nice to have for the times you do plan ahead.
8. Coffee Beans – I wouldn’t say I’m a coffee addicted, but mornings don’t feel right without my cup! There is always a container of coffee beans in my pantry, and if there isn’t - watch out!
9. Popcorn Kernels – The best night snack ever! Buy kernels instead of the instant popcorn to control the amount of salt and butter you add. Sprinkle a little parmesan if you want to take this snack a step farther. Hmmm I always eat too much, but it never gets old!
10. Swiss Chocolate – Do I really need to explain this one? Whether it's crunch caramel, or a dark creamy chocolate, there is always a bar (or two) hidden away in there. I don’t like to share, so please don’t ask. :)
Extra - I almost forgot! I always have a stash of homemade granola, because why not!? I love sprinkling it in my yogurt for extra flavor and crunch.
What are some of your pantry staples? I would love to hear them in the comment section below!